timeline

YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1904-1905 Farm buildings are constructed at the Kingswood School site (Farm Group #1) Albert Kahn, architect Most demolished 1917-1921
1904 The original farmhouse of Samuel Alexander is remodeled and called the "Cottage"   Torn down in 1930
1907 Original frame boat house erected   Torn down in 1917
1908 Cranbrook House and Tower Cottage constructed Albert Kahn, architect Kahn worked from George Booth's sketches
1909 North garden constructed   Gardens simplified during World War II
1910 Greenhouse completed, replacing the original lean-to greenhouse attached to the house Burrowes and Wells, architects Torn down in 1950 for present greenhouse
1910 Twin Cottage constructed Burrowes and Wells, architects Kahn designed "Water Garden" removed 1923
1910 Sunken Garden and Promenade balustrade begun    
1911 East Terrace constructed    
1911 Farm buildings constructed on Cranbrook School site (Farm Group #2) Burrowes and Wells, architects  
1912 Rock garden (later Japanese Garden) established    
1913  West Terrace constructed - water garden pool    
1913 Tower Cottage enlarged for James Scripps Booth    
1914 Fountain on West Terrace installed    
1914 Swimming pool at Greek Theatre built    
1914 Cascade from pool at Greek Theatre build    
1915 Brookside Cottage (Stoney House) constructed from the Pump House for Farm Group #1 H. George Field, builder  
1915-1916 Greek Theatre constructed Burrowes and Wells, architects From sketches by George G. Booth; Actors' Court added by Henry Scripps Booth in 1924
1915 Italian Cottage built Burrowes and Wells, architects Cottage demolished in 1927 (Hedgegate House partially built on foundation)
1915 Booths purchased the Crane Lantern for the Japanese Garden   Bought at expositions at San Diego and San Francisco
1916 Flowing Well (Rainbow Fountain) built Marcus R. Burrowes, architect Pewabic tiles laid by Mary Chase Perry Stratton
1917 Boat House completed Marcus R. Burrowes, architect Restored in 1983
1917 Gates installed at south entrance of Cranbrook House Samuel Yellin, metalsmith; Marcus R. Burrowes, architect Gate posts built in 1916
1917 New Morris Mill constructed    
1918 Cranbrook House additions begun - library wing, west wing, east wing, servants' wing Albert Kahn, architect Work completed in 1920
1918 Meeting House constructed on Cranbrook Road George G. Booth and Henry S. Booth, architects Now part of Brookside School
1919 The Common Room (now known as the Oak Room) at Cranbrook House begins construction (1919-1920) Albert Kahn, architect  
1920 Wallace House built   Home of Grace Wallace; Sold to the Nances in 1952
1921 Vegetable garden built east of Tower Cottage    
1921 Fire House added to Tower Cottage    
1922 Bloomfield Hills School, now called Brookside School, opened its doors to students in the upper floor of the Meeting House    
1923 Aviary built between George Booth's Office and the Library at Cranbrook House   Frame of aviary later used for kitchen window at Brookside School
1923 Forecourt of Cranbrook House rebuilt along present lines    
1923 Turtle Fountain installed    
1923 Clay tennis court erected south of Tower Cottage    
1923 First addition to Brookside School George G. Booth, architect  
1924 Actors Court added to Greek Theatre Henry S. Booth, architect  
1924 West Terrace reflecting pool built    
1924 Henry Booth designed an art academy at Cranbrook for his final student project at the University of Michigan    
1925 Eliel Saarinen completed master plan for the proposed art academy at Cranbrook    
1925 Theatre Bridge built    
YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1925-1926 Work on the first Academy building, the Cranbrook Architectural Office Swanson and Booth, architects Now Cranbrook Academy of Art Administrative Building - Saarinen addition, 1927-1929
1925-1926 Thornlea House built Henry S. Booth, architect Pool built 1929; Studio built 1938; addition to Thornlea circa 1940
1925-1926 Beresford House built Swanson and Booth, architects Home of Florence Booth Beresford
1925-1926 Christ Church Cranbrook Sextonry built Swanson and Booth, architects  
1925-1928 Christ Church Cranbrook constructed Bertram Goodhue Associates, architects  
1925-1930 Cranbrook School for Boys constructed Eliel Saarinen, architect Saarinen based his plan on Burrowes and Wells' 1911 farm buildings
1926-1927 Repairs and alterations made to Tower Cottage Swanson and Booth architects  
1926-1927 Cottages #1 and #2 built, Cranbrook School Henry S. Booth, architect  
1927 Hedgegate House built L.J. Heenan, architect Partially built on foundations of the Italian Cottage; home of George Coleman Booth
1927 Cranbrook School for Boys opened (September 1927)    
1927 Cranbrook School Senior Cabin and Bridge built in December   A gift to the boys from George Booth
1928-1929 Headmaster's House built Eliel Saarinen, architect Now Cranbrook Academy of Art faculty residences
1928-1929 Fine Arts and Crafts Building, Cranbrook Academy of Art Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1928-1929 Pine Hill Cottage #1 Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1928-1929 Thornlea Pool built    
1928-1930 Academy Group Residences #1 and #2 Eliel Saarinen, architect Now called Saarinen and Milles Houses
1928-1930 Faculty Way Residences Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1928 Kingswood School started at Brookside School    
1929-1930 Brookside House Henry S. Booth, architect  
1929-1930 Keppel Gymnasium, Cranbrook School Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1929-1930 Valley Way Houses Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1929 Brookside School, main addition Henry S. Booth, architect  
1930-1931 Kingswood School for Girls built Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1930 Cranbrook Institute of Science (Original) George G. Booth, architect Altered significantly in 1936-1937
1930 Headmaster's House, Cranbrook School (Second) D. Allen Wright, architect  
1930 Brookside School opened in new building (September 1930)    
1930 Pavilion encased with glass walls    
1930 Saarinen House   Toilet facilities and heating plant upgraded in 1932
1931-1932 Academy Studio #4 built (Milles Studio) Eliel Saarinen, architect; Altered by R.H. Snyderin in 1956  
1932-1933 Academy Studio #5 built Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1933 Jonah Lake created Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1934 Fire Station in Valley Way Cranbrook Architectural Office Enlarged in 1938
1934 Pine Hill Cottage #2 Cranbrook Architectural Office Erected for associate rector, Christ Church Cranbrook
1934 Pavilion converted into gallery and lecture hall for Cranbrook Academy of Art Eliel Saarinen, architect Glass walls replaced with masonry, new entrance at road, basement for offices and storage, rudimentary air conditioning. Used for exhibitions until the Art Museum opened in 1942. Site of "Crandemonium Balls" of 1934 and 1936.
1936-1937 Cranbrook Institute of Science Eliel Saarinen, architect Altered 1961-1962
1936 Dormitory #2, Cranbrook Academy of Art Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1937-1938 Church School Wing built at Christ Church Cranbrook Bertram Goodhue Associates, architects  
1937 Music Studios built at Cranbrook School Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1938 Top section of the water tower at Cranbrook House removed and replaced with flat roof. Remodedled to become cottage addition to Tower Cottage.    
1938 Henry Scripps Booth's Architectural Studio built    
1938 Orpheus Fountain installed    
1938 Dormitories #3-#6, garage, Studios #5 and #6 erected at the Academy Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1939-1942 Cranbrook Academy of Art Library and Museum Eliel Saarinen, architect Stairway addition by Henry Booth, 1957-1958
1939 Tunnel under Cranbrook Road from Brookside to Mill Race added    
1939 Stone wall along Cranbrook Road removed; replaced with iron picket fence and sidewalk    
1940 Senior Cabin at Kingswood School built Henry Booth, architect  
1940 Marshall Fredericks Fountain added to Thornlea    
1941 Lindquist Hall, Cranbrook School Cranbrook Architectural Office Remodeled and enlarged as Gordon Hall of Science in 1976
1945 Addition to Stoney House    
1946 St. Dunstan's Guild begins leasing Pavilion from Cranbrook Foundation   Stage added to interior; building becomes known as "St. Dunstan's Playhouse"
1946 Cranbrook School Senior Cabin (Club House) renovated    
1947-1948 Supervisor's Cottage, Cranbrook Institute of Science Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1947-1948 Hedgegate House remodeled into faculty apartments L.J. Heenan, architect; Cranbrook Architectural Office Purchased by the Cranbrook Foundation from George Coleman Booth
1950 New greenhouse at Cranbrook House Wm. P. Klemm & Son  
YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1951-1952 Headmistress' Residence at Kingswood School (Robin Hill) O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1951-1952 Exterior of Tower Cottage restored and waterproofed Heineman & Lovett Co.  
1952 Kingswood School Headmistress' suite converted into four student rooms    
1952 New Kingswood Faculty Lounge in basement; restoration of furniture in Rose Lounge and Library    
1955 McMath Planetarium, Cranbrook Institute of Science William E. Kapp, architect  
1958 Chanticleer Cottage, Cranbrook School Frank R. Chapman, architect  
1959 Hockey Rink at Cranbrook School   Revised in 1978-1979
1959 Gymnasium at Brookside School O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1959 The Bulkley Greenhouse, Cranbrook Institute of Science    
1960 Terrace Extension, Cranbrook Institute of Science William E. Kapp, architect  
1961-1962 Skillman Wing, Cranbrook Institute of Science William E. Kapp  
1964 Gymnasium at Kingswood School O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1965-1966 Edison House, Cranbrook Institute of Science William P. Smith, Jr. architect  
1966-1967 Kresge Apartments Swanson Associates, architects  
1968-1969 Nature Center, Cranbrook Institute of Science Howard L. Preston, architect  
1970 Stone bridge on Tamarac Way replaced with concrete bridge    
1973-1974 Tamarack Apartments O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1974 Moved Cranbrook Educational Community Office from Cranbrook Academy of Art building to Cranbrook House    
YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1976 Gordon Hall of Science, Cranbrook School Tarapata, MacMahon and Paulsen, architects  
1978-1979 Cranbrook School Hockey Rink O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach plans modified by Cranbrook Physical Plant personnel to bring project in at budget
1980 Kingswood Library remodeled TMP Associates, architects Library installed in original study halls
1980 Turtle Fountain at Cranbrook House restored    
1983 Boathouse cleaned, sealed and painted    
1985-1986 DeSalle Auditorium, Cranbrook Academy of Art Robert Saarinen Swanson and George Zonars, architects  
1988-1995 Restoration Saarinen House Directed by Cranbrook Art Museum  
1989 Skilled Trades Building (General Shop Building) TMP Associates, architects  
1990-1991 Greek Theatre restored; Actor's Court rebuilt Quinn Evans/Architects, Inc.  
1991-1992 Public Relations Office, Cranbrook House; Third floor of the House remodeled Warren Parden, designer  
1993 Trellis Bridge Built by Ted Galante; Dan Hoffman, designer  
1993 Bridge to Cranbrook School Cabin torn down    
1994 New Woodward Entrance built Juhani Pallasmaa, architect; Dan Hoffman, architect  
1995-1996 Potato Chip lamp, Thistle lamp and bollards Dan Hoffman, designer, Cranbrook Architecture Office, project Installed to unify campus lighting
1995 Brookside groundbreaking - Early Childhood Center, Science and Music Buildings; Renovation of multi-purpose room Peter Rose, architect Opened in September 1996; Expansion Project begun in April
1995 Cranbrook Campus Tennis Court removed and replaced    
1996 Cranbrook Institute of Science - "New Institute" addition and renovation Stephen Holl, architect Groundbreaking addition September 1996, completed June 1998; Renovation of existing building June 1998-December 2000
1996 House of Ice Cranbrook Architecture Office  
1996 Brookside renovation, library, lower level multi-media room, Photography area Crossings, architects  
1996 Mailbox Enclosurer, Woodward Entrance Dan Hoffman, architect  
1996 Pickle Hut on Pickle Island with bridge to Island Dan Hoffman, architect  
1997 Log Jam Arch, Brookside Dan Hoffman, architect  
1997 Restoration of 520 Auto Court    
1997 Kingsbrook becomes president's home    
1998-1999 Natatorium, Cranbrook Campus Tod Williams, Billie Tsien, architects  
1999 Kingswood Green Lobby Floor restoration Tiles by Albion College  
1999 Kingswood Roof Restoration Watson & Henry Architects  
2000 Renovation, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Sculpture courtyard toxic booths, Painting studio toxic area, new photography darkrooms Quinn Evans, architects  
YEARS BUILDING CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
2001-2002 New Studios Building, Cranbrook Academy of Art Rafael Moneo, design architect; David Osler Associations, architect of record  
2002 Cranbrook Academy of Art Renovation of vacated ceramics, Metal and Fiber departments for 2D and 3D design Quinn Evans Architects  
2002 Fire safety upgrades were completed in thirty-three buildings on campus, including all of the dormitories Siemans Building Technoligies, Inc.  
2003 Restoration of the West Wing roof at Cranbrook House Allen Brothers Inc.  
2004 Kingswood School restoration (plans include the entrance plaza, restoration of Diana Fountain, interior carpet replacement and the Kingswood Lake pilot project)   The Kingswood Lake project included dredging 20% of the lake, stabilizingthe east riverbank at the Trellis Bridge and landscape improvements
2004 Rainbow Fountain restoration Mitchell and Mouat, architects  
2005 Phase II of Cranbrook House West Wing restoration begins    
2005 Kingswood Entrance Plaza restoration completed Snowmelt system installed  
2005 Wenger Gym renovation    
2005 Kingswood Roof Replacement and Drainage Improvement, Phase II begins Quinn Evans, architect  
2005 Cranbrook Institute of Science Gateway Project (parking deck) begins    
2006 West Entrance and Parking Deck, Cranbrook Institute of Science Designed by Dan Hoffman; Smith Group, architect  
2007 Boys Middle School Renovation Project (plans include a new gymnasium, new entrance and renovation of the dining hall) Duce Simmons Associates, architects The old gymnasium will become the new dining hall
2007 Quad Restoration begins Mitchell and Mouat, architects  
2008 Cranbrook House stone wall restored Cameron Stone, Inc.  
2008 Valley Way widened and realigned; Facilities boneyard and parking redesigned and paved Sasaki Associates  
2008 Kignswood Auditorium Restoration    
2008 Kingswood Mezzanine Loung Restoration    
2009 Brookside Oriel Window restoration Building Arts & Conservation  
2009 Brookside Garden Walkway and Tricycle Path Walker Macy Landscape Architecture  
2009-2011 Cranbrook Academy of Art Museum Collection Storage Wing addition Smith Group/JJR  
2009-2011 Cranbrook Academy of Art Museum and Library renovation SmithGroup/JJR  
2009-2010 Cranbrook Kingswood Middle School for Girls Lake/Flato Architects  
2009-2010 Cranbrook Tennis Courts improvement Johnson Hill Land Ethics Studio  
2010 Cranbrook Road stone wall restoration Cameron Stone, Inc.  
2010 Hoey Commons Room remodeled Quinn Evans Architects  
2010 New baseball dugouts, Cranbrook campus DSA Architects  
2010 Brookside Tower restoration Building Art & Conservation  
2014-2018 Restoration of Cranbrook House roof and chimney    
2015-2016 Restoration and installation of Cranbrook House North Gates at Cranbrook House parking lot Original gates: Samuel Yellin, metalsmith; Gates restoration: ICA Art Conservation; Piers: Cameron Stone, Inc. Located off of Cranbrook Road at the main entrance to the estate, the gates now serve as an exit from the recently expanded Cranbrook House parking lot.
2016 New baseball dugouts, Kingswood campus    
2016 Spud Court, located on the eastern side of the Quadrangle at Cranbrook School campus, refreshed brick and cement work   Returned this area to its original grandeur as a pedestrian courtyard
2015-2016 Wallace Ice Arean renovations - new suite of locker rooms; Alumni Room overlooking the ice; new fitness center    
2016 Lower North Wall at Cranbrook House restored Cameron Stone, Inc.  
2016 Brookside Library renovated    
2016-2017 Repairs to Pergola on East Terrace, Cranbrook House   Damaged during a heavy storm in 2014

1900-1925

YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1904-1905 Farm buildings are constructed at the Kingswood School site (Farm Group #1) Albert Kahn, architect Most demolished 1917-1921
1904 The original farmhouse of Samuel Alexander is remodeled and called the "Cottage"   Torn down in 1930
1907 Original frame boat house erected   Torn down in 1917
1908 Cranbrook House and Tower Cottage constructed Albert Kahn, architect Kahn worked from George Booth's sketches
1909 North garden constructed   Gardens simplified during World War II
1910 Greenhouse completed, replacing the original lean-to greenhouse attached to the house Burrowes and Wells, architects Torn down in 1950 for present greenhouse
1910 Twin Cottage constructed Burrowes and Wells, architects Kahn designed "Water Garden" removed 1923
1910 Sunken Garden and Promenade balustrade begun    
1911 East Terrace constructed    
1911 Farm buildings constructed on Cranbrook School site (Farm Group #2) Burrowes and Wells, architects  
1912 Rock garden (later Japanese Garden) established    
1913  West Terrace constructed - water garden pool    
1913 Tower Cottage enlarged for James Scripps Booth    
1914 Fountain on West Terrace installed    
1914 Swimming pool at Greek Theatre built    
1914 Cascade from pool at Greek Theatre build    
1915 Brookside Cottage (Stoney House) constructed from the Pump House for Farm Group #1 H. George Field, builder  
1915-1916 Greek Theatre constructed Burrowes and Wells, architects From sketches by George G. Booth; Actors' Court added by Henry Scripps Booth in 1924
1915 Italian Cottage built Burrowes and Wells, architects Cottage demolished in 1927 (Hedgegate House partially built on foundation)
1915 Booths purchased the Crane Lantern for the Japanese Garden   Bought at expositions at San Diego and San Francisco
1916 Flowing Well (Rainbow Fountain) built Marcus R. Burrowes, architect Pewabic tiles laid by Mary Chase Perry Stratton
1917 Boat House completed Marcus R. Burrowes, architect Restored in 1983
1917 Gates installed at south entrance of Cranbrook House Samuel Yellin, metalsmith; Marcus R. Burrowes, architect Gate posts built in 1916
1917 New Morris Mill constructed    
1918 Cranbrook House additions begun - library wing, west wing, east wing, servants' wing Albert Kahn, architect Work completed in 1920
1918 Meeting House constructed on Cranbrook Road George G. Booth and Henry S. Booth, architects Now part of Brookside School
1919 The Common Room (now known as the Oak Room) at Cranbrook House begins construction (1919-1920) Albert Kahn, architect  
1920 Wallace House built   Home of Grace Wallace; Sold to the Nances in 1952
1921 Vegetable garden built east of Tower Cottage    
1921 Fire House added to Tower Cottage    
1922 Bloomfield Hills School, now called Brookside School, opened its doors to students in the upper floor of the Meeting House    
1923 Aviary built between George Booth's Office and the Library at Cranbrook House   Frame of aviary later used for kitchen window at Brookside School
1923 Forecourt of Cranbrook House rebuilt along present lines    
1923 Turtle Fountain installed    
1923 Clay tennis court erected south of Tower Cottage    
1923 First addition to Brookside School George G. Booth, architect  
1924 Actors Court added to Greek Theatre Henry S. Booth, architect  
1924 West Terrace reflecting pool built    
1924 Henry Booth designed an art academy at Cranbrook for his final student project at the University of Michigan    
1925 Eliel Saarinen completed master plan for the proposed art academy at Cranbrook    
1925 Theatre Bridge built    

1926-1950

YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1925-1926 Work on the first Academy building, the Cranbrook Architectural Office Swanson and Booth, architects Now Cranbrook Academy of Art Administrative Building - Saarinen addition, 1927-1929
1925-1926 Thornlea House built Henry S. Booth, architect Pool built 1929; Studio built 1938; addition to Thornlea circa 1940
1925-1926 Beresford House built Swanson and Booth, architects Home of Florence Booth Beresford
1925-1926 Christ Church Cranbrook Sextonry built Swanson and Booth, architects  
1925-1928 Christ Church Cranbrook constructed Bertram Goodhue Associates, architects  
1925-1930 Cranbrook School for Boys constructed Eliel Saarinen, architect Saarinen based his plan on Burrowes and Wells' 1911 farm buildings
1926-1927 Repairs and alterations made to Tower Cottage Swanson and Booth architects  
1926-1927 Cottages #1 and #2 built, Cranbrook School Henry S. Booth, architect  
1927 Hedgegate House built L.J. Heenan, architect Partially built on foundations of the Italian Cottage; home of George Coleman Booth
1927 Cranbrook School for Boys opened (September 1927)    
1927 Cranbrook School Senior Cabin and Bridge built in December   A gift to the boys from George Booth
1928-1929 Headmaster's House built Eliel Saarinen, architect Now Cranbrook Academy of Art faculty residences
1928-1929 Fine Arts and Crafts Building, Cranbrook Academy of Art Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1928-1929 Pine Hill Cottage #1 Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1928-1929 Thornlea Pool built    
1928-1930 Academy Group Residences #1 and #2 Eliel Saarinen, architect Now called Saarinen and Milles Houses
1928-1930 Faculty Way Residences Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1928 Kingswood School started at Brookside School    
1929-1930 Brookside House Henry S. Booth, architect  
1929-1930 Keppel Gymnasium, Cranbrook School Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1929-1930 Valley Way Houses Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1929 Brookside School, main addition Henry S. Booth, architect  
1930-1931 Kingswood School for Girls built Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1930 Cranbrook Institute of Science (Original) George G. Booth, architect Altered significantly in 1936-1937
1930 Headmaster's House, Cranbrook School (Second) D. Allen Wright, architect  
1930 Brookside School opened in new building (September 1930)    
1930 Pavilion encased with glass walls    
1930 Saarinen House   Toilet facilities and heating plant upgraded in 1932
1931-1932 Academy Studio #4 built (Milles Studio) Eliel Saarinen, architect; Altered by R.H. Snyderin in 1956  
1932-1933 Academy Studio #5 built Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1933 Jonah Lake created Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1934 Fire Station in Valley Way Cranbrook Architectural Office Enlarged in 1938
1934 Pine Hill Cottage #2 Cranbrook Architectural Office Erected for associate rector, Christ Church Cranbrook
1934 Pavilion converted into gallery and lecture hall for Cranbrook Academy of Art Eliel Saarinen, architect Glass walls replaced with masonry, new entrance at road, basement for offices and storage, rudimentary air conditioning. Used for exhibitions until the Art Museum opened in 1942. Site of "Crandemonium Balls" of 1934 and 1936.
1936-1937 Cranbrook Institute of Science Eliel Saarinen, architect Altered 1961-1962
1936 Dormitory #2, Cranbrook Academy of Art Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1937-1938 Church School Wing built at Christ Church Cranbrook Bertram Goodhue Associates, architects  
1937 Music Studios built at Cranbrook School Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1938 Top section of the water tower at Cranbrook House removed and replaced with flat roof. Remodedled to become cottage addition to Tower Cottage.    
1938 Henry Scripps Booth's Architectural Studio built    
1938 Orpheus Fountain installed    
1938 Dormitories #3-#6, garage, Studios #5 and #6 erected at the Academy Eliel Saarinen, architect  
1939-1942 Cranbrook Academy of Art Library and Museum Eliel Saarinen, architect Stairway addition by Henry Booth, 1957-1958
1939 Tunnel under Cranbrook Road from Brookside to Mill Race added    
1939 Stone wall along Cranbrook Road removed; replaced with iron picket fence and sidewalk    
1940 Senior Cabin at Kingswood School built Henry Booth, architect  
1940 Marshall Fredericks Fountain added to Thornlea    
1941 Lindquist Hall, Cranbrook School Cranbrook Architectural Office Remodeled and enlarged as Gordon Hall of Science in 1976
1945 Addition to Stoney House    
1946 St. Dunstan's Guild begins leasing Pavilion from Cranbrook Foundation   Stage added to interior; building becomes known as "St. Dunstan's Playhouse"
1946 Cranbrook School Senior Cabin (Club House) renovated    
1947-1948 Supervisor's Cottage, Cranbrook Institute of Science Cranbrook Architectural Office  
1947-1948 Hedgegate House remodeled into faculty apartments L.J. Heenan, architect; Cranbrook Architectural Office Purchased by the Cranbrook Foundation from George Coleman Booth
1950 New greenhouse at Cranbrook House Wm. P. Klemm & Son  

1951-1975

YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1951-1952 Headmistress' Residence at Kingswood School (Robin Hill) O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1951-1952 Exterior of Tower Cottage restored and waterproofed Heineman & Lovett Co.  
1952 Kingswood School Headmistress' suite converted into four student rooms    
1952 New Kingswood Faculty Lounge in basement; restoration of furniture in Rose Lounge and Library    
1955 McMath Planetarium, Cranbrook Institute of Science William E. Kapp, architect  
1958 Chanticleer Cottage, Cranbrook School Frank R. Chapman, architect  
1959 Hockey Rink at Cranbrook School   Revised in 1978-1979
1959 Gymnasium at Brookside School O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1959 The Bulkley Greenhouse, Cranbrook Institute of Science    
1960 Terrace Extension, Cranbrook Institute of Science William E. Kapp, architect  
1961-1962 Skillman Wing, Cranbrook Institute of Science William E. Kapp  
1964 Gymnasium at Kingswood School O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1965-1966 Edison House, Cranbrook Institute of Science William P. Smith, Jr. architect  
1966-1967 Kresge Apartments Swanson Associates, architects  
1968-1969 Nature Center, Cranbrook Institute of Science Howard L. Preston, architect  
1970 Stone bridge on Tamarac Way replaced with concrete bridge    
1973-1974 Tamarack Apartments O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects  
1974 Moved Cranbrook Educational Community Office from Cranbrook Academy of Art building to Cranbrook House    

1976-2000

YEARS BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
1976 Gordon Hall of Science, Cranbrook School Tarapata, MacMahon and Paulsen, architects  
1978-1979 Cranbrook School Hockey Rink O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach, architects O'Dell Hewlett and Luckenbach plans modified by Cranbrook Physical Plant personnel to bring project in at budget
1980 Kingswood Library remodeled TMP Associates, architects Library installed in original study halls
1980 Turtle Fountain at Cranbrook House restored    
1983 Boathouse cleaned, sealed and painted    
1985-1986 DeSalle Auditorium, Cranbrook Academy of Art Robert Saarinen Swanson and George Zonars, architects  
1988-1995 Restoration Saarinen House Directed by Cranbrook Art Museum  
1989 Skilled Trades Building (General Shop Building) TMP Associates, architects  
1990-1991 Greek Theatre restored; Actor's Court rebuilt Quinn Evans/Architects, Inc.  
1991-1992 Public Relations Office, Cranbrook House; Third floor of the House remodeled Warren Parden, designer  
1993 Trellis Bridge Built by Ted Galante; Dan Hoffman, designer  
1993 Bridge to Cranbrook School Cabin torn down    
1994 New Woodward Entrance built Juhani Pallasmaa, architect; Dan Hoffman, architect  
1995-1996 Potato Chip lamp, Thistle lamp and bollards Dan Hoffman, designer, Cranbrook Architecture Office, project Installed to unify campus lighting
1995 Brookside groundbreaking - Early Childhood Center, Science and Music Buildings; Renovation of multi-purpose room Peter Rose, architect Opened in September 1996; Expansion Project begun in April
1995 Cranbrook Campus Tennis Court removed and replaced    
1996 Cranbrook Institute of Science - "New Institute" addition and renovation Stephen Holl, architect Groundbreaking addition September 1996, completed June 1998; Renovation of existing building June 1998-December 2000
1996 House of Ice Cranbrook Architecture Office  
1996 Brookside renovation, library, lower level multi-media room, Photography area Crossings, architects  
1996 Mailbox Enclosurer, Woodward Entrance Dan Hoffman, architect  
1996 Pickle Hut on Pickle Island with bridge to Island Dan Hoffman, architect  
1997 Log Jam Arch, Brookside Dan Hoffman, architect  
1997 Restoration of 520 Auto Court    
1997 Kingsbrook becomes president's home    
1998-1999 Natatorium, Cranbrook Campus Tod Williams, Billie Tsien, architects  
1999 Kingswood Green Lobby Floor restoration Tiles by Albion College  
1999 Kingswood Roof Restoration Watson & Henry Architects  
2000 Renovation, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Sculpture courtyard toxic booths, Painting studio toxic area, new photography darkrooms Quinn Evans, architects  

2001-Present

YEARS BUILDING CONSTRUCTION ARCHITECT AND/OR BUILDER REMARKS
2001-2002 New Studios Building, Cranbrook Academy of Art Rafael Moneo, design architect; David Osler Associations, architect of record  
2002 Cranbrook Academy of Art Renovation of vacated ceramics, Metal and Fiber departments for 2D and 3D design Quinn Evans Architects  
2002 Fire safety upgrades were completed in thirty-three buildings on campus, including all of the dormitories Siemans Building Technoligies, Inc.  
2003 Restoration of the West Wing roof at Cranbrook House Allen Brothers Inc.  
2004 Kingswood School restoration (plans include the entrance plaza, restoration of Diana Fountain, interior carpet replacement and the Kingswood Lake pilot project)   The Kingswood Lake project included dredging 20% of the lake, stabilizingthe east riverbank at the Trellis Bridge and landscape improvements
2004 Rainbow Fountain restoration Mitchell and Mouat, architects  
2005 Phase II of Cranbrook House West Wing restoration begins    
2005 Kingswood Entrance Plaza restoration completed Snowmelt system installed  
2005 Wenger Gym renovation    
2005 Kingswood Roof Replacement and Drainage Improvement, Phase II begins Quinn Evans, architect  
2005 Cranbrook Institute of Science Gateway Project (parking deck) begins    
2006 West Entrance and Parking Deck, Cranbrook Institute of Science Designed by Dan Hoffman; Smith Group, architect  
2007 Boys Middle School Renovation Project (plans include a new gymnasium, new entrance and renovation of the dining hall) Duce Simmons Associates, architects The old gymnasium will become the new dining hall
2007 Quad Restoration begins Mitchell and Mouat, architects  
2008 Cranbrook House stone wall restored Cameron Stone, Inc.  
2008 Valley Way widened and realigned; Facilities boneyard and parking redesigned and paved Sasaki Associates  
2008 Kignswood Auditorium Restoration    
2008 Kingswood Mezzanine Loung Restoration    
2009 Brookside Oriel Window restoration Building Arts & Conservation  
2009 Brookside Garden Walkway and Tricycle Path Walker Macy Landscape Architecture  
2009-2011 Cranbrook Academy of Art Museum Collection Storage Wing addition Smith Group/JJR  
2009-2011 Cranbrook Academy of Art Museum and Library renovation SmithGroup/JJR  
2009-2010 Cranbrook Kingswood Middle School for Girls Lake/Flato Architects  
2009-2010 Cranbrook Tennis Courts improvement Johnson Hill Land Ethics Studio  
2010 Cranbrook Road stone wall restoration Cameron Stone, Inc.  
2010 Hoey Commons Room remodeled Quinn Evans Architects  
2010 New baseball dugouts, Cranbrook campus DSA Architects  
2010 Brookside Tower restoration Building Art & Conservation  
2014-2018 Restoration of Cranbrook House roof and chimney    
2015-2016 Restoration and installation of Cranbrook House North Gates at Cranbrook House parking lot Original gates: Samuel Yellin, metalsmith; Gates restoration: ICA Art Conservation; Piers: Cameron Stone, Inc. Located off of Cranbrook Road at the main entrance to the estate, the gates now serve as an exit from the recently expanded Cranbrook House parking lot.
2016 New baseball dugouts, Kingswood campus    
2016 Spud Court, located on the eastern side of the Quadrangle at Cranbrook School campus, refreshed brick and cement work   Returned this area to its original grandeur as a pedestrian courtyard
2015-2016 Wallace Ice Arean renovations - new suite of locker rooms; Alumni Room overlooking the ice; new fitness center    
2016 Lower North Wall at Cranbrook House restored Cameron Stone, Inc.  
2016 Brookside Library renovated    
2016-2017 Repairs to Pergola on East Terrace, Cranbrook House   Damaged during a heavy storm in 2014

Banner photo by P.D. Rearick, CAA '10