There are hidden treasures at Cranbrook. Curator Kevin Adkisson will share a treasure tucked away in the the Cranbrook House Workshop Garage. Join Kevin to learn more about James Scripps Booth, the eldest son of George and Ellen Booth, and his joint passions of art and automobiles.
Image: Detail of Biautogo Perfected by James Scripps Booth, 1914. Kevin D. Adkisson, photographer
Live at Five coming to you from the Brookside School Meetinghouse. Join Curator Kevin Adkisson for a look around this George Booth-designed building with artwork by Katherine McEwan and Johannes Kirchmeyer.
Episode 7: With Eyes Opened: Cranbrook Academy of Art Since 1932
Live at Five has a special guest! Center for Collections and Research Curator Kevin Adkisson will will be joined by Andrew Blauvelt, Director of Cranbrook Art Museum, to give viewers an overview of With Eyes Opened: Cranbrook Academy of Art Since 1932. You won't want to miss this walk-through!
The exhibit is accompanied by a 600-plus page publication that chronicles the history of this storied institution and features 200 alumni representing the various programs of study, both historical figures and emerging voices, who have made remarkable contributions to the visual arts. The book, with essays by Museum and Center staff, is available at the Cranbrook Art Museum.
Exhibition view by photographer P.D. Rearick, CAA '10.
A little "Upstairs, Downstairs" on this Live at Five. From the time the Booths moved into their home in 1908, they employed a number of servants to maintain the house. In the Booth’s dining room, they had Sunday family dinners, or small dinner parties. The food would come through the butler’s pantry, with the staff hidden from view by an elaborate carved screen. Curator Kevin Adkisson shows us the screen and tells us all about its recent restoration.
Image: Cranbrook House Dining Room, 2020. Photographer Daniel Smith, CAA '21.
Episode 9: Happy 157th Birthday to Cranbrook Co Founder George Gough Booth
September 24 is the birthday of Cranbrook’s co-founder George Gough Booth.
George Gough Booth arrived on September 24, 1864, at 8 Magill (now McGill) Street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Henry Wood Booth recalled that George was, “Born in the house at the East end of row on the South side of Magill St. about the middle of the block from Younge St. at 11.30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 24, 1864.”
Live at Five is coming to you from Angley Woods and the original entrance to Cranbrook House from Cranbrook Road. Curator Kevin Adkisson will fill our viewers in on the restoration of the pillars that once supported the North Gates (now the exit gates at the Cranbrook House parking lot).
Image: George Gough Booth sitting at the north entrance gates located at the top of Cranbrook Road, circa 1917. Courtesy of Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research.
Today's Live at Five virtual tour will focus on the bricks of the Cranbrook Natatorium. Join Curator Kevin Adkisson for this exciting deep dive into glazed bricks of Tod William Billie Tsien Architects.
Brick: the simple material that forms most of Cranbrook’s buildings. Though often overlooked, the bricks on campus are a riot of pattern, shape, structure, and texture.
Episode 13: Tour of the New Studios Building by Rafael Moneo
Live at Five with Curator Kevin Adkisson showcases the Addition to Cranbrook Academy of Art and Art Museum designed by Rafael Moneo, and completed in 2002. Know affectionately as the "New Studios Building," it is home to the Fiber, Ceramics, and Metals Departments. He might even get a peek into some studio spaces.
Image: Exterior of New Studios Building. Photographer Tryst "Red" Mallette, CAA '23.
Episode 4: Eero Saarinen and his Circle in Cranbrook Archives
Join Curator Kevin Adkisson for a look at treasures from Eero Saarinen and Associates in Cranbrook Archives. Kevin is busy preparing for his 2022 History of American Architecture lecture series examining "Eero Saarinen and His Circle." Join him here for a behind-the-scenes look at some of the Saarinen-related treasures in Cranbrook Archives, including sketches and material related to Saarinen's GM Tech Center.
Image: Miller House and Garden. Courtesy Cranbrook Archives.
Episode 15: Eero Saarinen’s 1958 Pedestal Collection for Knoll at Milles House
“We have chairs with four legs, with three and even with two, but no one has made one with just one leg, so that’s what we’ll do,” declared Eero Saarinen to Florence Knoll in 1955. In 1958, the pair launched the iconic Pedestal Series, lovingly called "Tulip" furniture. Curator Kevin Adkisson will focus on the collaborative effort involved in the creation and production of the Pedestal Series.
Image: Aline, Eames, and Eero Saarinen Enjoy Dinner at Home in Bloomfield Hills, 1959; Photography Courtesy of Manuscripts and Archives, Yale University.